Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Abled or Disabled...

Wow, "Making Voices" by Ingunn Moser and John Law is a heavy read. To be completely honest, I read the first few paragraphs and the last few only. I skimmed the paragraphs that covered people's experience with the RollTalk device. I tried my best to understand what it is they were talking about. How subjectivity plays into that device and, even bigger, what it means to be a person? Wow.

Anyways, I feel technology has abled me by providing a mode of transportation to places I could only dream of. Or to meet with people I would never have meant otherwise. Or to read libraries of knowledge without actually going to a library. Technology is my job too. Currently I maintain technology (or at least personal computers). My film career is now dependent on modern technology (but what isn't?).

Now, technology, I feel, limits my physical activities (and I realize it doesn't have to). The disabled people in the article wanted to be physically abled again by technology(if they were not), it seems, for me, technology has physically disabled me. Saying this, I am aware of this and try my best to keep active.

Another way it has disabled me is my eyesight. I am sensitive to high brightness screens and must wear my digital eyewear glasses to counteract it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home